Thomas E. Shriver
- Vita: download vita
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 919-513-7736
Teaching and Research Interests
- Environmental Sociology
- Social Movements
- Environmental Justice
- Sociology of Health and Illness
- Political Sociology
Shriver, Thomas E. (PI). 2014-2017. "Elite Framing of Social Movements." National Science Foundation, $186,449.
- Shriver, Thomas E., Laura Bray and Alison E. Adams. 2018. “Legal Repression of Labor Protest: The Case of the 1953 Worker Revolt in Czechoslovakia," forthcoming in Mobilization.
- Messer, Chris, Thomas E. Shriver. 2017. "The Legacy of Lead Pollution: (Dis)Trust in Science and the Debate over Superfund." Environmental Politics 26(6): 1132-1151.
- Adams, Alison E. and Thomas E. Shriver. 2017. "Tactics and Targets: Explaining Shifts in Grassroots Environmental Resistance." Social Currents 4(3): 265-281.
- Longo, Stefano B., Brett Clark, Thomas E. Shriver and Rebecca Clausen. 2016. "Sustainability and Environmental Sociology: Putting the Economy in its Place and Moving Toward an Integrative Socio-Ecology." Sustainability 8(5): 1-17.
- Adams, Alison E. and Thomas E. Shriver. 2016. "Challenging Extractive Industries: How Political Context and Targets Influence Tactical Choice." Sociological Perspectives 59(4): 892-909.
- Shriver, Thomas E., Alison E. Adams, and Stefano Longo. 2015. "Environmental Threats and Citizen Activism in Authoritarian Settings." Social Forces 94(2):699-722.
- Messer, Chris, Thomas E. Shriver, and Alsion E. Adams. 2015. "Collective Identity and Memory: A Comparative Analsis of Community Response to Environmental Hazards." Rural Sociology 80(3): 314-339.
- Adams, Alison E., Thomas E. Shriver, and Chris M. Messer. 2015. "Movement-Countermovement Dynamics in a Land-Use Controversy." Human Ecology Review 21(1):3-25.
- Shriver, Thomas E. Alison E. Adams, and Chris M. Messer. 2014. "Power, Quiescence and Pollution: The Suppression of Environmental Grievances." Social Currents 1(3): 275-292.
- Shriver, Thomas E., Alison E. Adams, and Sherry Cable. 2013. “Discursive Obstruction and the Repression of Dissent: The Social Control of Environmental Activism in the Czech Republic.” Social Forces 91(3): 873-893.
- Shriver, Thomas E., Alison E. Adams, and Rachel Einwohner. 2013. “Motherhood and Opportunities for Activism Before and After the Czech Velvet Revolution.” Mobilization 18(3): 267-288.
- Shriver, Thomas E. and Alison E. Adams. 2013. “Collective Identity and the Subjective Terrain of Political Opportunities: Movement Dissension Surrounding Participation in Party Politics.” Mobilization 18(1): 489-506.
- Zschau, Tony, Alison E. Adams, and Thomas E. Shriver. 2012. “Reframing the Biotechnology Debate: The Deconstructive Efforts of the Council for Responsible Genetics.” Symbolic Interaction 35(2): 221-239.
- Messer, Chris, Alison E. Adams, and Thomas E. Shriver. 2012. “When Corporate Framing Fails: The Erosion of Elite Legitimacy. The Sociological Quarterly 53(3): 475-499.
- Adams, Alison E. and Thomas E. Shriver. 2011. “Collective Identity and Gendered Activism in the Czech Environmental Movement: The South Bohemian Mothers’ Struggle Against Nuclear Power.” Research in Social Movements, Conflicts, and Change 32: 163-189.
- Messer, Chris and Thomas E. Shriver. 2011. “Resident Framing and the Public Sphere: Community Conflict over Radioactive Waste.” Political and Military Sociology 38: 77-100.
- Shriver, Thomas E. and Alison E. Adams. 2010. “Cycles of Repression and Tactical Innovation: The Evolution of Environmental Dissidence in Communist Czechoslovakia.” The Sociological Quarterly 51:329-354.
- Cable, Sherry and Thomas E. Shriver. 2010. “Wounded by Friendly Fire: Policy Palliatives and Internal Conflict in the Gulf War Illness Movement.” Current Sociology 58(1): 45-66.
- Messer, Chris, Thomas E. Shriver, and Dennis Kennedy. 2010. “Environmental Hazards and Community Dissension in Rural Oklahoma.” Sociological Spectrum 30(2): 159-183.
- Shriver, Thomas E. and Gary R. Webb. 2009. “Rethinking the Scope of Environmental Justice: Perceptions of Health Hazards in a Rural Native American Community Exposed to Carbon Black.” Rural Sociology 74(2) 270-292.
- Shriver, Thomas E. and Charles Peaden. 2009. “Frame Disputes in a Natural Resource Controversy: The Case of the Arbuckle Simpson Aquifer in South Central Oklahoma.” Society and Natural Resources 22(2): 143-157.
- Shriver, Thomas E. and Chris Messer. 2009. “Ideological Cleavages and Schism in the Czech Environmental Movement.” Human Ecology Review 16(2): 161-171.
- Messer, Chris and Thomas E. Shriver. 2009. “Corporate Responses to Claims of Environmental Misconduct: The Case of Phelps Dodge and Blackwell, Oklahoma.” Deviant Behavior 30(7): 1-22.
- Shriver, Thomas E., Sherry Cable, and Dennis Kennedy. 2008. “Mining for Conflict and Staking Claims: Contested Illness at the Tar Creek Superfund Site.” Sociological Inquiry 78(4): 558-579.
- Cable, Sherry, Thomas E. Shriver, and Tamara Mix. 2008. “Risk Society and Contested Illness: The Case of Oak Ridge Nuclear Workers.” American Sociological Review 73(3):380-401.
- Ph.D. in Sociology from University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- M.A. in Sociology from University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- B.A. in Sociology from Western Kentucky University
- SOC 202 - 002Principles of Sociology11:45 - 01:00 T H232A Withers Hall