Dr Martha Crowley
Teaching and Research Interests
- Work / Organizations
- Spatial Inequality
Select Journal Articles:
- Crowley, Martha and Pete Knepper. “Strangers in Their Hometown: Demographic Change and Community Engagement in New Latino Destinations” Social Science Research, forthcoming.
- Crowley, Martha and Kevin Stainback. “Retail Sector Concentration, Local Economic Structure, and Community Well-being.” Annual Review of Sociology, forthcoming.
- Crowley, Martha. 2016. “Neoliberalism, Managerial Citizenship Behaviors and Firm Fiscal Performance.” Research in the Sociology of Work 28:213-232.
- Crowley, Martha, Daniel T. Lichter and Richard N. Turner. 2015. “Diverging Fortunes? Economic Well-being of Latinos and African Americans in New Rural Destinations.” Social Science Research 51 (May):77-92.
- Crowley, Martha. 2014. “Class, Control and Relational Indignity: Labor Process Foundations for Workplace Humiliation, Conflict and Shame.” American Behavioral Scientist 58 (3):416–434.
- Crowley, Martha and Randy Hodson. 2014. “Neoliberalism at Work.” Social Currents 1 (1):91-108
- Crowley, Martha, Julianne C. Payne, and Earl Kennedy. 2014. “Working Better Together?: Empowerment, Panopticon and Conflict Approaches to Teamwork.” Economic and Industrial Democracy 35 (3): 483-506.
- Crowley, Martha. 2013. “Gender, the Labor Process and Dignity at Work.” Social Forces 91 (4): 1209-1238.
- Crowley, Martha. 2012. “Control and Dignity in Professional, Manual and Service-Sector Employment.” Organization Studies 33 (10):1383-1406.
- Crowley, Martha, Daniel Tope, Lindsey Joyce Chamberlain, and Randy Hodson. 2010. “Neo-Taylorism at Work: Occupational Change in the Post-Fordist Era.” Social Problems 57:421-447.
- Crowley, Martha and Daniel T. Lichter. 2009. “Social Disorganization in New Latino Destinations?” Rural Sociology 74(4):573-604.
- Chamberlain, Lindsey Joyce, Martha Crowley, Daniel Tope, and Randy Hodson. 2008. “Sexual Harassment in Organizational Context.” Work and Occupations 35 (3):262-295.
- Roscigno, Vincent J., Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, and Martha Crowley. 2006. “Education and the Inequalities of Place.” Social Forces 84 (4):2121-2145.
- Crowley, Martha, Daniel T. Lichter, and Zhenchao Qian. 2006. “Beyond Gateway Cities: Economic Restructuring and Changing Poverty Among Mexican Immigrants.” Family Relations 55 (3):345-360.
- Lichter, Daniel T., Zhenchao Qian, and Martha Crowley. 2005. “Child Poverty among Racial Minorities and Immigrants: Explaining Trends and Differentials.” Social Science Quarterly 86 (5):1037-1059.
- Tope, Daniel, Lindsey Joyce Chamberlain, Martha Crowley, and Randy Hodson. 2005. “The Benefits of Being There: Lessons from the Literature on Work.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 34 (4):470-493.
- Lichter, Daniel T. and Martha Crowley. 2004. “Welfare Reform and Child Poverty: Effects of Maternal Employment, Marriage, and Cohabitation.” Social Science Research 33 (3):385-408.
- Lichter, Daniel T. and Martha Crowley. 2002. “Poverty in America: Beyond Welfare Reform.” Population Bulletin 57 (June). Washington DC: Population Reference Bureau.
- Roscigno, Vincent J. and Martha Crowley. 2001. "Rurality, Institutional Disadvantage, and Achievement/Attainment." Rural Sociology 66 (2):268-293.
- Ph.D. in Sociology from The Ohio State University
- M.A. in Sociology from The Ohio State University
- B.A. in Sociology from The University of Missouri - Columbia