Dr Charles R. Tittle
Named Distinguished Professor
Teaching and Research Interests
- Sociology of Crime and Deviance
- Sociological Theory
- Urban Sociology
- “Reinforcement, Learning, and Criminal Probability.” Social Forces (in press) [With Olena Antonaccio and Ekaterina Botchkovar].
- “Strain, Socio-Economic Status, and Modes of Coping.” (with Ekaterina Bochkovar and Olena Antonaccio). Journal of Quantitative Criminology [in press]
- “Reinforcement and Social Learning.” Sociological Spectrum 32 (2012): 157-177. [With Jon Brauer].
- “Childhood Experiences and Self-Control.” Deviant Behavior 33 (2012): 375-392. [with Jonathan R. Brauer, Olena Antonaccio, and Zaki Islam]
- “Why Do Some Places Display More Criminality than Other Places? A Comparison of Major Cities in Greece, Russia, and Ukraine.” Poiniki Dikaiosini: Eglkimatologia 2012: 49-60 [with Olena Antoaccio, Ekaterina Botchkovar, and Maria Kranidioti]
- “Self-Control and the Management of Violence.” Pp. 91-119 in Control of Violence: Historical and International Perspectives on Violence in Modern Societies, edited by Wilhelm Heitmeyer, Heinz-Gerhard Haupt, Andrea Kirschner, and Stefan Malthaner. Springer: New York, 2011.
- “Attracted to Crime: Exploration of Criminal Motivation Among Respondents in Three European Cities.” Criminal Justice and Behavior 38 (2011): 1200-1221. [with Olena Antonaccio and Ekaterina Botchkovar]
- “Criminal Contemplation, National Context, and Deterrence.” Journal of Quantitative Criminology 27 (2011): 225-249 (With Ekaterina V. Botchkovar and Olena Antonaccio)
- “Control Balance Theory and Social Policy.” Pp. 6-24 in Criminology and Public Policy: Putting Theory to Work, edited by Hugh Barlow and Scott Decker. Temple University Press: Philadelphia, 2010.
- “Expected Utility, Self-Control, Morality, and Criminal Probability.” Social Science Research 39 (2010): 1029-1046 [With Olena Antonaccio, Ekaterina Botchkovar,and Maria Krandioti].
- “Morality, Self-Control, and Crime: A Replication Using Greek Respondents.” (In Greek) Criminal Justice, Nomiki Bibliothiki 12: Spring, 2010. [With Olena Antonaccio and Maria Kranidioti].
- “The Correlates of Crime and Deviance: Additional Evidence.” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 47 (2010): 297-328. [With Olena Antonaccio, Ekaterina Botchkovar, and Maria Kranidioti].
- “Socio-Demographic Homogenizing Trends in Fixed-Boundary Spatial Areas within the United States.” Social Science Research 39 (2009): 324-340. [With Thomas Rotolo]
- “General Strain Theory: Additional Evidence Using Cross-National Data.” Criminology, 47 (2009): 131-172. [With Ekaterina Botchovar and Olena Antonaccio]
- “Is a General Theory of Socially Disapproved Violence Possible (or Necessary)? International Journal of Conflict and Violence 3 (2009): 60-74.
- "Strain, Crime, and Interactions.” Justice Quarterly 25 (2008): 283-312. [With Lisa M. Broidy and Marc C. Gertz].
- “Delineating the Scope of Reintegrative Shaming Theory: An Explanation of Contingencies using Russian Data.” Social Science Research 37 (2008): 703-720. [With Ekaterina Botchkovar].
- “Morality, Self-Control and Crime.” Criminology 46 (2008):479-510. [With Olena Antonaccio].
- “Social Integration, Self-Control, and Conformity.” Journal of Quantitative Criminology 24 (2008): 73-92. [With Michael R. Welch, Nicole Meidinger, Jennfer Yonkoski, and Harold G. Grasmick].
- “Self-Control, Political Ideology and Misbehavior: Unpacking the Effects of Conservative Identity.” Sociological Spectrum 28 (2008): 4-35. [With Michael R. Welch and Harold G. Grasmick].
- “Fads and Foibles in the Dissemination of Criminological Work.” Statement in the February, 2008, issue of the Criminologist.
- Ph.D. in Sociology from University of Texas, Austin, 1965
- M.A. in Sociology from University of Texas, Austin, 1963
- B.A. in History from Ouachita Baptist College, 1961