Dr Amanda Janis Stewart
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 919-515-2481
Amanda J. Stewart is an assistant professor in the Department of Public Administration in the School of Public and International Affairs at North Carolina State University. Mandi teaches in the Masters of Public Administration program, and her courses include Management of Nonprofit Organizations (PA536), Fund Development (PA539), and Grant Writing (PA540). Her research centers on nonprofit management and foundation behaviors. Mandi has over ten years experience working in nonprofit organizations ranging from small, local efforts to large, international organizations. Mandi has her Master’s degree in social work (macro focus) from Boston College and her Bachelor’s in business administration from Birmingham-Southern College. She received her PhD from the Department of Public Administration and Policy at American University’s School of Public Affairs.
Teaching and Research Interests
- Nonprofit management and leadership
- Nonprofit capacity and performance
- Philanthropic foundation grantmaking
- Association Executives and Nonprofit Executives Career Study with Kerry Kuenzi
- Applying Carrying Capacity: A Case Study of One Nonprofit Sector with Jessica Berrett and Kerry Kuenzi
- Nonprofit Education Survey Project with Kerry Kuenzi and Marlene Walk
Nonprofit graduate education: Who gets the degree and why? Journal of Public Affairs Education. With Kerry Kuenzi and Marlene Walk.
The nonprofit career ladder: Exploring career paths as leadership development for future nonprofit executives. Public Personnel Management. With Kerry Kuenzi
Inside the black box: Investigating philanthropic foundation strategies in a dynamic environment. Foundation Review, forthcoming.
An exploratory study of the nonprofit executive factor: Linking nonprofit financial performance and executive careers. Journal of Nonprofit Education and Leadership. With Kerry Kuenzi
Turnover at the top: Investigating performance-turnover sensitivity among nonprofit organizations. Public Performance and Management Review, forthcoming. With Jeffrey Diebold.
Exploring board perspectives on nonprofit executive turnover. Voluntary Sector Review, 2017.
As you sow, so shall you reap? Evaluating if targeted capacity building improves nonprofit financial health. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, forthcoming. With Lewis Faulk.
Exploring nonprofit executive turnover. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 2016.
Network connections and competitively awarded Funding: The impacts of board network structures and status interlocks on nonprofit organizations’ foundation grant acquisition. Public Management Review, 2015. With Lewis Faulk, Jurgen Willems, and Jasmine M. Johnson.
Toward more targeted capacity building: Diagnosing organizational capacity needs across organizational life stages. Voluntas, 2015. With Fredrik Andersson and Lewis Faulk.
Administrative growth and grant payouts in nonprofit foundations: Fulfilling the public good amidst professionalization? Public Administration Review, 2014. With Lewis Faulk.
Evolution of a monitoring and evaluation system in disaster recovery: Learning from the Katrina Aid Today National Case Management Consortium. New Directions for Evaluation, 2010. With Kelly Stiefel and Celine Carbullido.
- Academy of Management, 2014
- American Society of Public Administration, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018
- Association of Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action, 2012-2018
- International Society of Third Sector Research, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Public Management Research Conference, 2014
- Southeastern Conference of Public Administration, 2015, 2016, 2018
- PhD Admissions Committee
- PhD in Public Administration from American University, 2015
- Master in Social Work from Boston College, 2005
- BS in Business Administration from Birmingham-Southern College, 2001
- Tue: 4:00-5:30